07/20/2022 by Troy Huggett, M.S. 0 Comments
Summer Cook Out!
Enjoy a summer cookout, have fun and put aside the stress of dieting! There's always time to enjoy your friends, family and great food!
While outdoor cookouts are a great opportunity to relax and visit with friends and family did you know that the average barbecue meal exceeds 1500 calories? That's almost an entire day's worth of calories in one meal.
That can really added unwanted inches to your waist line over the course of the summer.
The good news is that barbecue season doesn't have to be fattening. In fact, with a few small changes to your barbecue menu you can turn summer into the perfect opportunity for weight loss.
So before you slather on the sun screen and fire up your grill, read the following tips to lighten up this summer.
On the Grill: Believe it or not, grilling is actually a very healthy way to cook meat. Of course the type of meat that you choose will make all of the difference. Burgers and hot dogs are traditional barbecue meats, though they aren't the healthiest. Try the following:
- Choose lean cuts of beef, pork or poultry
- Marinade with low fat dressing
- Make hamburgers with extra-lean ground beef
- Take the skin off chicken before grilling
- Replace beef patties with ground turkey patties
- Grill up salmon or cod
- Forego the meat and grill veggie burgers
Side Dishes: This is where most people run into trouble. Barbecue side dishes are typically filled with one thing - fat. Creamy coleslaw and potato salads can hold as much as 15 grams of fat per serving. Try the following:
- Make veggie kabobs and grill them
- Replace the mayo in your salads with low-fat mayo
- Serve fresh salad with light vinaigrette
- Try whole-grain macaroni for your pasta salad
- Grill up corn on the cob
- Put out a veggie tray with low fat dip
Drinks: Most people don't realize that beverages play a big role in summer weight gain. Margaritas, beer, soda pop and punch all contain tons of empty calories. Try the following:
- Drink water, it is always your healthiest option
- Stick with light beer (if you really want to drink beer
- If you have to have a soda pop stick with diet
- Brew unsweetened ice tea and serve with lemon
Dessert: Yes, there are ways to satisfy your sweet tooth while staying healthy. Think outside of the box instead of turning to the typical fattening options like ice cream, pie, cake or cookies. Try the following:
- Grill mango, banana and pineapple on kabobs
- Stick with sorbet instead of ice cream
- Replace peach pie with grilled peach halves
- Choose light ice cream over regular
Remember, it's ok to splurge every once in a while. Enjoy yourself. Just keep in mind that by taking a few of the above suggestions you can enjoy great food while getting back into great shape.
Want to shape up even more this summer? Get the step by step plan designed for you by calling me - 269-967-6300 or click here to learn how to truly TRANSFORMNOW - https://biohackers.teachable.com/p/transformation-challenge/?preview=logged_out
Get Strong - Stay Fit!