04/20/2023 by Troy Huggett, M.S. 0 Comments
Your Guide to Eating Out Right
Know what to order and what NOT to order....BEFORE going to a restaurant!
A woman sits at a restaurant studying the menu with furrowed brow. She has begun an exercise routine and knows that her frequent meals out could slow her weight loss results if she wasn't careful.
When the waiter comes she is still deep in thought over what to order. "What can I get for you?” he asks with a smile. She looks up and frowns, no closer to arriving at a decision. On a whim she blurts out, "I'm trying to eat healthy but I have no idea what to order. What do you think I should eat?”
The young waiter looks startled but quickly rattles off his idea of a healthy meal. "The eggplant and roasted pepper pasta is filled with vegetables. You could get that with a salad.”
The woman smiles. Yes, vegetables do sound healthy. So she orders the veggie pasta with a side salad and a diet soda, then sits back to enjoy a few slices of bread.
That's a true story. Not surprisingly the woman was unable to lose weight even though she was exercising regularly.
It is said that 80% of your weight loss results are derived from diet, and the remaining 20% from exercise—so you can see how important it is for you to stick with a healthy eating plan.
Use the following tips as your guide to eating out right:
Appetizers are a great way to start out a leisurely meal, but can also derail your good intentions with a quickness.
Anything fried. Fried foods are a favorite, but will do damage that even the most intense workout won't undo.
Creamy dips. These are filled with fat and usually come with something fried to dip in it.
Bread. It usually comes smothered in cheese or seeped in butter.
Green salad. Ask for very light dressing and no croutons.
Antipasto. A plate of thinly sliced meats, olives and cheese will start you off with some protein.
Lettuce wraps. These are delicious, tend to be lower in calorie and protein-filled.
Calories in drinks are sneaky because they don't fill you up. This means that you end up taking in far more calories than you bargained for.
Regular or diet soda. On one hand you're drinking corn syrup through a straw, on the other you're drinking chemicals that cause you to crave sweets. It's a no win situation.
Sweet cocktails. Many restaurants are advertizing sweet cocktails –resist the urge. Sugar plus alcohol equals loads of unneeded calories.
Sweetened tea. You may feel righteous for ordering iced tea, but if it's sweetened then you may as well be drinking fully loaded soda.
Water. Don't laugh! Water is the best beverage of all.
Unsweetened iced tea. Don't ruin it by adding that packet of sugar. Learn to enjoy the natural sweetness to the tea.
Red wine. Stick to one glass, and drink responsibly.
This is where the real damage is done. When you order something carb-loaded you leave the restaurant feeling heavy and lethargic—you may not even realize this until you start eating better and experience the light, energetic way you'll feel after eating a healthy meal.
Pasta. I don't care if it comes with red sauce or white sauce, meat or veggies. If you're trying to lose weight and maintain a lean body then never, ever eat the entire order of pasta. It's not the pasta that's bad, it's the PASTA (the volume is ridiculous). Five ounces of cooked pasta is a serving and is very healthy and can be very helpful in a weight loss program.
Pizza. Another dish that has far more carbohydrates and calories than you need. If you're craving pizza, have a slice and wash it down with a lot of water and a low calorie salad.
Burgers. If you really want a burger then ditch the bun and the fries, and have your patty wrapped in lettuce. But remember, portions matter. A typical 1/2 pound of ground beef is 488 calories - this is just the hamburger meat, not the cheese, bacon, mushrooms, condiments, etc. It's the calories, not the carbs that put fat on your body.
Lean meat with vegetables. Fish, steak, chicken, take your pick and pair it with green vegetables.
Salad with protein. Ask for very light dressing and make sure you have a nice piece of protein on it.
Soup and salad. Stick with broth based soups that contain protein and pass on the breadsticks.
If you want to expedite your results then consider working with me on a fitness plan that will turn you into a fat burning machine.
Call, email orclick NOW — I look forward to hearing from you!
Get Strong - Stay Fit!
Leave a comment